I bought a new steamer last month as my current steamer is too small to steam a cake. So, in order to try the new steamer, I had decided to make a chocolate cake using the steaming method. Had always wanted to try out this method, and I assumed that the cake should be more moist than the baked ones.
I googled for a steamed chocolate cake recipe and landed on this entry. Made this cake and brought it to my mum's place to share. Overall, I found the ingredients to be easy to find, and the recipe is easy to follow.
Cake was done in no time! As such, I will use this recipe again in future if I needed a cake but don't have much time to make one. Cake came out good, but not as moist as what was expected (could it be that I over cooked it?). I do love the flavor though.
Here's the recipe, credit to http://recipesforkeeps.blogspot.com. I did make slight changes to the original recipe.
Ingredients - for the cake:
1 3/4 cup cake flour*
3/4 cup cocoa powder*
1 tsp baking powder*
1 tsp baking soda*
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
200 ml of evaporated milk
3 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of boiling water
- Sift items marked with * and add in the caster sugar. Combine well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the oil, followed by milk, eggs, vanilla extract and boiling water, making sure to stir the batter well after each addition.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tray and steam on a medium heat for about 45 minutes.
Ingredients - for the chocolate topping:
150 g of cooking chocolate
50 g butter
2 tbsp of cocoa powder
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp icing sugar
100 ml of evaporated milk
- Melt the chocolate and butter using a double boiler.
- Then, add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the melted topping on the cake and decorate.