Monday 31 December 2012

Pandan agar-agar with coconut milk recipe

I had some free time yesterday morning whilst waiting for the kids to get up from bed. After I've had a cup of coffee, watered my plants, done the laundry and run the dishwasher, I've decided to make agar-agar for dessert.

Pandan agar-agar is something that I used to make during my secondary school years. I used to have a good recipe for pandan agar-agar, given by my mum, but had unfortunately lost it. It has been at least 10 years since I last make one.

I still remembered the ingredients though, although not the amount of ingredients. Luckily, the pandan agar-agar made came out perfect, and all my kids loved it.


Pandan agar-agar


Here is the recipe that I used:

Ingredients:
A packet of agar-agar powder
230 g of sugar
750 ml of water
200 ml of coconut milk
1 egg
Some pandan leaves

Part of the ingredients used

*Note: I used swallow globe brand agar-agar powder in green, you can also use the clear version instead. The original recipe from the agar-agar powder packet called for 250 grams of sugar and 1 liter of water, but since I am replacing the water with a mixture of coconut milk, egg and water, I have reduced the sugar amount by 20 grams.

Method:
1. Blend together water with the pandan leaves to get pandan extract. Sieve through a strainer.
Pandan extract made by processing pandan leaves and water using a food processor/blender

2. Mix the pandan extract with sugar and agar-agar powder and bring to boil in a pot, stirring occasionally.
3. In a different container, mix the coconut milk and egg.
4. Once the sugar and agar-agar powder had dissolved and the mixture has started to boil, mix in the coconut milk and egg mixture.
5. Stir well and let it simmer for a while before turning off the heat.
6. Pour the mixture into a container (i used a 7 x 7 inches of square cake pan) and let it cool before transferring it into a refrigerator to set.
I used a 7 x 7 inches container, and the height of the agar-agar came out great






3 comments:

  1. Salam dear. Kak jun memang suka sangat agar2 ni. Nak cuba ya. Thx n wassalam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Kak Jun. Cuba la agar agar tu, mmg sedap. Thanks for visiting my blog kak, Shas selalu visit blog Kak Jun, tapi jadi silent reader je.

    ReplyDelete